This is one of my most FAVORITE meals to make for the Fall. I gotta be honest, I am not a huge “soup” person, but I will ALWAYS pick this if it’s on the menu at a restaurant and we make it at home all of the time. It’s warm, filling, a little sweet, and a lot of delicious.
It is also dairy-free, so that’s a win/win =]
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
1 Whole Butternut Squash
One White Onion
3 Apples (I use whatever, but Gala are great)
4 Cups of Vegetable Broth
¼ Teaspoon Cinnamon
¼ Teaspoon Nutmeg
½ Teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper
Salt and Pepper to taste
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds (optional)
- Peel and cut the butternut squash, carrots, apples and onion into small cubes.
- Saute the onion and carrots with olive oil in the bottom of the soup pot until softened.
- Then add the butternut squash and apple with the Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Cayenne Pepper, Salt and Pepper.
- Then add the 4 cups of Vegetable Broth.
- Let the contents simmer and soften in the pot, it takes around 30-40 minutes. Keep checking by poking the butternut squash to see if it’s soft.
- Use an immersion blender to mix it all up.
- Add some roasted pumpkin seeds for a little crunch if you want.